When you have water damage in your home, it's important to have a restoration specialist assess the damage. While you may clean up the standing water, it's possible that water seeped into walls and flooring, causing potential hazards to your home and your health.  If you have had a recent flood, or you have discovered water stains along a wall or ceiling, it's time to call in a professional.

Mold Grows When Water Remains

The biggest concern when water damage is discovered is the potential for mold growth. Mold loves to grow on moist surfaces, and walls or ceilings that are soaked through with water are the perfect breeding ground for dangerous molds. Mold isn't just an eyesore. According the Center for Disease Control, mold causes a number of health problems that include:

  • itchy, watery eyes or irritation
  • nasal congestion
  • wheezing and asthma
  • itchy, dry skin

For people with mold allergies, the symptoms can be severe and include fever, shortness of breath or mold infections in the lungs. It is never safe to leave mold in the home.

Removal of Mold is Difficult

While it's pretty straightforward to clean up standing water, water that has seeped into drywall is much more difficult to clean up. A professional will be able to look at the situation and determine if the drywall needs to be replaced. When the walls get wet, they will need to be thoroughly dried. If the walls have been wet for some time, it is likely that the section of the wall will have to be replaced. Removing mold is hard, and even the smallest amount of mold left in an area will spread. To eradicate mold in an area that has water damage, all mold must be removed.

Clean with Bleach to Kill Mold and Mildew

Similar to mold, mildew grows in moist, humid conditions. Both can be killed using bleach, and it's important to incorporate the use of bleach when cleaning up a water damaged area. A bleach solution is powerful, and will prevent mold from growing on surfaces that have been cleaned with the solution. Again, if water has seeped into walls, floors or ceilings, a bleach solution may not be enough.

If you notice mold growth in your home and you have recently had water damage, call in a professional to look at the damage. While it may seem like no big deal, handling the problem now will help prevent future problems. Contact a company like Flagship Restoration for more information.

Share